One of the most “popular” causes of stria formation in women is, as you know, pregnancy. Usually stretch marks appear in the second trimester of pregnancy (in most expectant mothers or after childbirth due to a strong stretching of the skin.) However, it should be understood that the appearance of striae is most often associated with genetic characteristics (not all future mothers tend to stretch marks) with proper care of these ugly “scars” and can be avoided altogether.
- How to choose the cream from stretch marks correctly?
- 10 best creams and remedies for stretch marks
How to choose
In the process of bearing the baby with the mother’s body, there are significant changes, many of which create the ground for the appearance of “scars.”
How to avoid stretch marks during pregnancy?
Stretch marks – or , as they are called in medicine, striae – in fact, they are ruptures of the tissues (namely, collagen fibers with elastin), appearing in the form of bands on the skin.They can have different lengths, depths and widths, have pink or red color.
Over time, striae acquire a blue tint, then turn white, and then remain in the form of scars – or, if small, become almost invisible.
The main areas of manifestation of the striae are the abdomen, chest and thighs with buttocks.
There are many reasons for the appearance of stretch marks, but the main one remains genetic location.
In addition, the following factors influence the formation of striae:
- High dryness of the skin.
- Fast weight gain or, conversely, rapid weight loss.
- Hormonal “jumps”.
- Prolonged stretching of the skin.
- A small amount of elastin fibers with collagen. The older the future mother – the higher the risk of appearance of striae.
- Humidity level. The more hydrated collagen fibers are, the higher their elasticity and the lower the risk of stretch marks.
- Medications taken.
- The age of the future mother.
Many manufacturers promise naive mummies a 100% result after applying the cream from stretch marks. But it should be understood that no cream gives such guarantees if you are genetically located to the appearance of striae.
However, to lower the risk of their appearance, or at least reduce the intensity, a woman is quite capable.
Cream from stretch marks – how does it work?
When skin is stretched for a long time, the degree of moistening of the dermal layer of skin is extremely important. Indeed, it is the presence of moisture in the dermis that will determine the usefulness of hydration of collagen fibers and, of course, elastin. Minimal hydration leads to loss of elasticity and, consequently, to the risk of fiber rupture.
The task of the remedy for stretch marks is …
- Intensive moisturizing of the skin.
- Acceleration of metabolic processes and circulation.
- Moisture in the skin.
- Increase the elasticity, softness and elasticity of the skin.
Composition of the cream from stretch marks – what should it be?
Naturally, in the first place, it must include components whose task is intensive moisturizing of the skin , its deep saturation with moisture and retention of this moisture in the dermis.
- Natural oils – one of the most popular components of the cream. Oils penetrate perfectly through the intercellular substance, but exclusively to the depth of the epidermis (note: they can not penetrate the basal layer through water, without the ability to dissolve). Oils increase the hydrophobic layer, protect against evaporation of moisture, retain water in the dermis, increase the number of cells in the epidermis.
- Glycerin and silicones. Ingredients with similar oil properties, although not capable of nourishing the skin. In addition, prolonged use of a cream with silicones can lead to certain unpleasant consequences.
- Vitamins. They are necessary in creams to stimulate metabolic processes in the skin, accelerate the maturation of new cells, increase the hydrophobic properties of the epidermis due to its thickening.
- Hyaluronic acid. A component that works to increase moisture.
- Hydrolyzed proteins. Work also in the epidermis to retain moisture.
- Retinol. It is necessary for stimulation of skin regeneration, healing of weakened epidermis, activation of synthesis of components, which is responsible for improving skin elasticity.
- Extracts of plants. Safe and effective components with different properties.
- Essential oils. It is necessary to increase the elasticity of the skin and metabolism, nutrition, care. For example, jojoba or karite oil, wheat germ oil or apricot kernels.
- Elastin with collagen. One of the most important components responsible for the elasticity of tissues.
- Extracts of algae. It is necessary to strengthen the regeneration of weakened or damaged skin areas, to feed it, to accelerate metabolic processes.
Cream from stretch marks – the rules of competent choice:
- Hypoallergenic composition! One of the most important rules of choice is the absence of “harmful chemistry” in your cream. That is, the lack of parabens, perfumes and dyes, and, preferably, silicones. Remember that the components of the drug can penetrate the blood and be passed on to the baby.
- Cream for use after childbirth or during pregnancy? These are 2 different groups of funds with different composition – warning striae or masking them. The first means are used in pregnancy to significantly increase the elasticity of the skin and prevent the appearance of striae. After delivery, the skin should return to its original state. And the second version of the funds should help to reduce the intensity of stretch marks that appeared after delivery, make them less visible, lighten. In addition, there are universal means used in both periods.
- Allergy test. This is an obligatory measure to avoid unpleasant consequences associated with individual intolerance to the components. First, smell the cream and apply a drop of the drug to the sensitive area of the skin. In the absence of a negative reaction – use.
- Shelf life. Naturally, it should not be broken.
- Period of use. Read the instructions carefully! If the cream is intended for use after delivery, then it does not make sense to apply it during pregnancy (and vice versa). Also, a specific period of use is important, for example, “only from the 2nd trimester to the delivery.”
- Harm to the components of the cream for the fetus. Everyone knows that organs of crumbs in the womb are formed during different periods of pregnancy. And the effect of specific components of cosmetic products can become dangerous for the health of the baby and its development. In particular, some essential oils can provoke serious problems with their constant use (this applies to creams, massages, baths and wraps). Read the composition and do not neglect the instructions. In addition, it is important to consult your doctor in a timely manner about the use of this or that remedy.
- Usual cream for pregnancy or a special remedy for stretch marks? Traditional moisturizing cream for a future mother is, of course, better than nothing (if it has a safe composition). But the cream from stretch marks does not just moisturize the skin – it helps to increase its elasticity and protects against weakening of collagen fibers. The choice is obvious.
10 best creams for the prevention of stretch marks in pregnant women
Means created for the prevention of striae, today almost filled up the shelves of beauty shops.
How to choose “the very thing,” its own means that really help?
- Consider your skin condition, age, allergies to specific components.
- Study the composition of the cream – the availability of useful components (their order in the composition list, the closer to the top of the list – the greater the percentage of the component in the composition), the presence of harmful components, the presence of components responsible for the strength of collagen fibers.
- Study the reviews of expectant mothers on the selected cream.
- Find a sample of the remedy – conduct an allergy test.
- Estimate the smell of the cream. It can be too intense, and you need to use it every day for the whole pregnancy.
- Read the instructions! If you are pregnant – look for a cream that is used during pregnancy, and not after childbirth, otherwise you will not be able to appreciate its effectiveness.
And, of course, consult a doctor!
Your attention – the most effective means of striae in the opinion of future and already held moms:
- Price: about 1000 r.
- Applies from 1 week and within 3 months after delivery.
- Properties: prevent the formation of striae and reduce the intensity of existing ones; increasing the elasticity of tissues; preservation of moisture in the skin.
- Ingredients: almond oil and jojoba oil, arnica extract, wheat germ oil.
- 2 international quality certificates: NaTrue (organic and natural remedies) and Vegan Label (guarantee the absence of components of animal origin).
- Price: about 500 r.
- Form: oil, cream and lotion.
- It is used from 1 week of pregnancy.
- Properties: protection against the appearance of striae; increased skin elasticity; correction of existing stretch marks; activation of the regenerating properties of the epidermis, its nutrition, intensive moistening and strengthening.
- Ingredients: natural lanolin (from sheep’s wool), milk proteins, wheat proteins (activate the production of own collagen), chitosan, hibiscus seed extract (increase in elasticity), jojoba oil, olive oil, beeswax.
Cream Mom comfort
- Price: about 350 r.
- Form: light balm-gel and dense cream.
- It is used during pregnancy, as well as after childbirth.
- Properties: normalizes the work of the epidermis, prevents the appearance of striae and reduces the intensity of the already existing ones; increases the elasticity of the skin; deeply moisturizes and retains moisture for a long time; intensively nourishes.
- As part of the cream: Regy-Stretch complex, damaged hyaluronic acid (enhancement of collagen production) and olive oil (humidification), chamomile extract, tea tree (tonic effect) and horse chestnut.
- Balm: horsetail extract and green coffee extracts, ivy and nettle extracts, as well as fucus, hyaluronic acid, green tea extracts and tagelli, and, of course, the Regy-Stretch complex.
Pomegranate emulsion Hendel`s Garden
- Price: about 1200 r.
- Applicable: with pregnancy, with weight loss, after childbirth.
- Long-term effect!
- Properties: acceleration of tissue repair; stimulation of skin self-rejuvenation; restoration of skin moisture and elasticity; anti-inflammatory, smoothing and bleaching properties; protection from the appearance of striae and a decrease in their intensity.
- Ingredients: pomegranate extract, shea butter, walnut oil, green coffee extract, panthenol, jojoba oil, rapeseed oil.
- Price: about 800 р.
- Properties: replenishment of moisture in the epidermis; deep cell nutrition; strengthening of skin fibers; softening and restoration of elasticity; help in adapting to over-stretching the skin; reduction in the intensity of existing stretch marks and protection from the appearance of new ones.
- Without parabens, dyes and harmful oil products.
- Ingredients: algae extract (for skin elasticity), almond oil (moisture recovery), papaya oil, shea butter, lemon and grapefruit extracts.
Lifting cream Mom and baby (Byelorussia)
- Price: about 140 r.
- Properties: prevention of striae; skin smoothing, nourishment and hydration; lifting effect; increased skin elasticity; decrease in intensity of stretch marks.
- Ingredients: collagen, wheat germ oil, chamomile extract, apricot oil, shea butter.
Emulsion Bepantol, Bayer
- Price: about 1300 р.
- Form: cream and emulsion (emulsion is more effective!).
- It is used from 1 month of pregnancy and after childbirth.
- Properties: deep skin nutrition; intensive moisturizing with prolonged stretching of the skin; smoothing and restoration of elasticity; prevention of striae formation.
- Without dyes, parabens and preservatives.
- Ingredients: Centella Asiatica (stimulation of collagen production), glycerin, provitamin B5, lipids, olive oil, dexpanthenol, vitamins C and E.
Cream Vichy Price: about 2000 rubles.
Cream 9 months
- Price: about 400 p.
- It is used in any trimester of pregnancy, as well as before and after childbirth.
- Properties: correction of existing striae and protection from new ones; increased elasticity of the epidermis, deep moistening; stimulation of blood circulation and tonic effect; prevention of cellulite. Ingredients: lipid system with active soy and elastin peptides, natural antioxidants, complex of oils (jojoba, shek, wheat germ), naturally grapefruit oil, echinacea extract, dimethicone, glycerin, vitamin PP.
- Price: about 140 r.
- Ayurvedic remedy.
- Applies from the 2nd trimester of pregnancy.
- Properties: acceleration of skin regeneration; getting rid of skin flabbiness, as well as age spots and even bags under the eyes; improvement of the relief and color of the skin; increased blood circulation; intensive moisturizing.
- Ingredients: vaseline oil, Indian sesame oil, glycerin and dimethicone, herbal complex (aloe, Long Curcuma, madder dye trimming, root extract of ayr), beeswax, zinc oxide, boric acid.
Undoubtedly, the list of funds in this TOP-10 is not exhaustive – there are other effective creams.
Choosing, follow our tips – and, of course, the advice of your doctor.
The composition should be based on the absence of harmful components and the presence of collagen with elastin or stimulators of their natural production.
What home remedies will help to eliminate stretch marks?