One of the happiest (and complex) periods in a woman’s life is, without a doubt, pregnancy. Unfortunately, it is easy and “with a song” this state rarely occurs. One of the pathological conditions, which cause many problems for the future mother – polyhydramnios. And you can not ignore it – you do not have to cure it.
How to give birth, if you have polyhydramnios, and what you need to know?
- form of delivery with polyhydramnios?
The term “polyhydramnios” in medicine is used to refer to the excess of the amniotic fluid at a serious excess of normal values.
In the case when pregnancy progresses according to all parameters normally, the amount of amniotic fluid usually does not exceed 1500 ml, when exceeding this amount, they speak of polyhydramnios.
This kind of complication occurs in the 1st case of a hundred , and the diagnosis can be made even at an early pregnancy.loading...
Given the constant change in the composition of amniotic fluid, it is important to track their number in each trimester.
Types of polyhydramnios – how it happens?
- Moderate. In this case, there is a gradual increase in symptoms and their intensity. Moreover, in most cases, the polyhydramnios of this form is completely asymptomatic, and a very long period remains simply unnoticed. The risk of this form of polyhydramnios is in the birth of crumbs with anomalies in its development due to the constant deficit of oxygen.
- Expressed. With this form, the general condition of both – mom and fetus is broken. Such polyhydramnios are observed, manifested in acute form, from the 16th and 24th week. Perhaps a sharp increase in amniotic fluid for even a few days, and several hours, so you need constant medical supervision for emergency care if necessary. Often, births with such complications of pregnancy lead to miscarriage, the birth of a baby with defects or stillbirth.
Diagnosis of polyhydramnios in pregnant women
The procedure for the necessary measurements (including the height of the uterine fundus and the circumference of the tummy ) is usually done at every reception of the expectant mother at the gynecologist.
Also check the compliance of all indicators with the prescribed standards, the presence of increased uterine tone and fetal activity.
Polyhydramnios may be suspected when the heartbeat of the fetus is poorly listened. In this case, for a more accurate diagnosis, the expectant mother is sent to US , where the specialist specifies whether the amount of amniotic fluid corresponds to the term of the mother’s pregnancy at the moment, and the index of the amniotic fluid is calculated, and the mass of the fetus is calculated.
Amniotic fluid index norms table for pregnancy terms
When the diagnosis is confirmed by a gynecologist, ultrasound is determined the cause of this pathology.
- Expert ultrasound , necessary for assessing the general condition of the fetus, as well as excluding the presence of malformations. At the same time, the control of heart rate is monitored with the aid of the cardiotachograph device and the blood flow values of the doppler in the existing “mother-placenta-fetus” system are estimated.
- If there are indications, the future mother is prescribed amniocentesis , designed to assess the condition of the fetus and help in the fight against polyhydramnios.
- Laboratory tests are also performed: for microflora (for the presence of urogenital infections), for blood sugar, for TORCH infection, as well as serological and routine blood tests, detection of antibodies to fetal antigens (if Mom is negative / Rhesus factor of the blood).
Treatment of polyhydramnios – whether antibiotics, folk remedies, etc. are used?
Without treatment with polyhydramnios can not do.The most important is the struggle against the root causes, which (if detected) should be brought to a state of remission.
- If the nature of polyhydramnios is infectious (note – and also in idiopathic polyhydramnios), then antibiotics of a wide spectrum are used for the mother and fetus (the drug is injected directly into the amniotic fluid).
- If the root cause is diabetes , the mother is prescribed drugs stabilizing carbohydrate metabolism and sugar level, as well as a rigid diet, shown for this type of disease.
- Hypertension requires drugs that stabilize the pressure.
- In the event that there is an oxygen starvation of a future baby , a specialist is prescribed drugs that can prevent the appearance of thrombi and improve blood flow in the vessels, both the placenta and the uterus.
- Elevated uterine tone is removed with special drugs-tocolyoliths and antispasmodics.
- General immunity is maintained with the help of vitamin therapy.
- As for the amniotic fluid, its amount is usually reduced with the help of light diuretics , and in some cases, a certain part of the water is withdrawn through amniocentesis.
Treatment for unexplained pathology can be performed in a hospital or at home, depending on the condition.
Traditional medicine can not be used with polyhydramnios without a doctor’s recommendation!
If polyhydramnios have reached severe form , often choose a variant of stimulation of preterm labor, and at a period of up to 28 weeks and the presence of malformations – interruption of pregnancy.
Features of labor in polyhydramnios – is it necessary to have a cesarean section, and is there a risk of premature birth?
In accordance with the severity of this pathology, the doctor can decide on Caesarean section – it is already an extreme method, implying the presence of serious contraindications to EP.
Unfortunately, in most cases, natural labor in polyhydramnios threatens with serious complications, therefore they are carried out in a certain way and only by midwives with experience:
- After a lateral puncture of the fetus / bladder, the physician controls the rate of outflow of water virtually manually, to protect the mother and baby from the prolapse of the umbilical cord or parts of the fetal body.
- If necessary, stimulation of labor is usually awaited for 2 hours from the moment of water spillage – it is not possible to use drugs before to avoid placental abruption.
- In the process of giving birth, drugs are used to improve the contractile function of the uterus.
Babies that were born with acute polyhydramnios in the mother, often require urgent resuscitation and follow-up of neonatologists.
Unfortunately, there is no absolute insurance against polyhydramnios. It is practically impossible to lay straws here.
But if the pathology is detected at an early stage, then treatment can be more successful , and the chances for a favorable pregnancy resolution for mom and crumbs are higher.