Everybody dreams about the prestigious profession. And one of the options for satisfying one’s ambitions is the profession “editor”. Creative, fascinating, but also difficult work for strong-willed, purposeful people with organizational veins.
Is it possible to become an editor from scratch, and what should I know about future work?
- Help in the work of the editor
Features of the editor – what does the editor on the Internet resource, graphics editor or editor in the publishing house?
First of all, it should be noted that the editor is one of the most responsible professions. It is the editor that “gets by the cap” in case of errors or false information in the final version of the article.
Therefore, the main task of the editor is to tirelessly and vigilantly watch, that is, to monitor the work of his subordinates and the quality of their work.
However, much depends on the work profile.
The editor can be …
- Or the TV editor or websites.
Features of the work depend on the specifics of the specific work.
What the editor does is the main responsibilities:
- First of all, editing materials, their correction in accordance with standards, styles, certain formats, etc.
- Help to authors (note – to improve the structure of texts).
- Solving technical and artistic issues.
- Selection and formulation of actual topics of materials, the formation of the idea and the definition of the progress of work.
- Preparation of materials for printing, for publication, for airing.
- Control functions: distribution of tasks among subordinates and control over their execution.
- And the like
Necessary personal qualities and professional skills for working as an editor – is this work suitable for you?
With third of the basic qualities that an editor should possess, one can note …
- Care and accuracy.
- Excellent memory.
- Logic and intuition.
- Patience, endurance, emotional stability.
- Analytical mindset.
- Organizational abilities.
- Literate oral / written language.
What are the requirements for professional skills?
The editor should know …
- Fundamentals of legislative acts.
- Basics of the economy (note – publishing, media).
- On the prospects of market development.
- On the procedure for creating plans, schedules in editorial processes.
- Basics of editing and all the preparation of articles, manuscripts, other materials.
- On the procedure for concluding contracts.
- Printing / production technology.
- A journalist graduate who became a correspondent.
- Next, the editor of the department.
- And the issuing editor.
- Freelance editor or junior editor.
- Lead editor.
Features of the editor’s career and salary
Today, the editor can work not only in the editorial office of the newspaper, in the book publishing house or on TV.
The scope of editorial work includes also professional activities in electronic media, radio, news agencies and production companies , etc.
The editor can work and remotely (note: freelance).
What is the salary of the editor?
Everything depends on the place of work. On average, in large cities, the monthly earnings of the editor can be 25,000-70000 rub.
It is worth mentioning about competition, which is quite high in prestigious places. If it is not so difficult to get a job in the editorial office of a small newspaper or into an electronic publication, the turn of ambitious specialists to prestigious publishing houses and mass media is very long, and often the companies themselves provide for stricter fighting for vacant positions.
However, a confident professional with a solid baggage of knowledge without work will never remain.
Career growth – what can the editor expect?
As for the prospects for a career ladder, they depend on experience, place of work – and, of course, the region.
In the editorial office of a small newspaper somewhere in the outback to rise high, of course, will not work.
There are many more opportunities in megacities, and each specialist has the opportunity to become a department head or editor-in-chief.
For example, the career of an editor in a paper or electronic edition is as follows:
And in the book publishing house …
How to become an editor from scratch – where to learn to get a profession editor?
It is clear that without an education, getting an editorial job in a prestigious place (and even a small newspaper) will not work, the highest humanitarian education is one of the main conditions.
And, the closer it is to the specificity of the chosen profession – the more the candidate has a chance to hold a position.
With large ambitions and requests will have to master …
- Linguistics and philology.
- Literary creation.
Universities, in which they are trained in these specialties, there are many in our country. And for training it is not necessary to go to the capital.
Job search You can start with freelancing, to gain experience. Today, many electronic publishers recruit remote employees – this is an excellent opportunity for people living in a small city, as well as for people with disabilities.
Next, you should try your hand at the newspaper’s editorial office, where the most invaluable work experience is obtained.
Well, and then you should build on existing vacancies and requirements.
Help in the work of the editor – useful books, websites, programs and applications
Among the useful future editor of Internet resources can be noted …
- starling.rinet.ru (note – grammatical, etymological and other dictionaries).
- kursy.ru (note – the course of A. Levitas on the mistakes of usage).
- typo.mania.ru (note – about typography and not only).
- www.kursiv.ru/ (note – on the proof-reading process in the publishing house).
- www.litsite.ru/category/pomosch-redaktora (note – extremely useful blog editor Raisa Piragis).
- az.lib.ru/h/hawkina_l_b/text_0010.shtml (note: 2-digit tables of Havkina).
- yWriter. A very convenient editor for structuring solid text volumes, as well as automatically saving the work done and accurate counting of words. There is support for the Russian language.
- Fresh look. This Russian-language software with a simple interface will be useful for verifying texts, excluding tautologies, “combing” texts and searching for flaws after “manual” proofreading. Online version of the software: quittance.ru/tautology.php.
- yEdit2. A simple program with notepad functions and the ability to limit the number of characters.
- XMind . This service is suitable for creative people, scientists, and even developers. With the help of the program, it is possible to compile “mental maps” that contribute to the visual representation of the idea and its implementation.
- CELTX . Interesting and useful software for all people writing, allowing you to work with different formats of materials (note – text, audio / video and graphics).
- Develop print speed and general PC skills, including all important programs (from Excel and Word to Photoshop, etc.).
- Fill your hand in the author’s work, try yourself in different genres, target the target audience, choosing the language and style according to the tasks of the texts.
- Learn to work with serious amounts of information.
- Learn to check facts quickly.
- Learn the basics of spelling. The editor does not have the right to make a mistake (in all senses).
- Find a part-time job in the local newspaper. Even if they pay “copecks”, this experience (even remotely or half a day) will be useful to you. Look for an opportunity to work as an assistant professional editor.
- Read a lot. Do not miss the opportunity to expand your horizons and look for mistakes. The more you read, the more mistakes you notice, the sharper the eye.
Training on the Internet – real! Useful resources for free or continuing education