Almost every mother knows about fatigue, the feeling of “bricks” on the back and swelling during pregnancy. Emotional and physical stress makes itself felt from the first months, but, alas, not all the usual ways of relaxation in this situation are permissible. One way to relieve stress is massage. True, not all and with reservations.
What kind of massage for a future mother is allowed, and how to do it correctly? Contents of the article:
- Is it possible to do a pregnant massage?
- Useful types of massage during pregnancy
- Contraindications for massage during pregnancy
- Massage rules for pregnant women
Is it possible to do massage to pregnant women – indications and contraindications
Opinions on the admissibility of massage with pregnancies are usually divided into “more like”, “in no case” and “possible, but with caution.” Moreover, even the opinions of experts in this area are divided: some believe that massage helps relieve tension and helps to prepare the body for childbirth; others categorically state its inadmissibility, motivating its ban on risks to the fetus.
It should be noted that the self-assignment of a future mother to the massage course is unacceptable. Such a decision can be taken only with your doctor , which will tell you what kinds of massage will be acceptable, with what intensity, and what zones need to be bypassed.
Usually indications for such a procedure are:
- The need for increased circulation.
- Problems with the spine.
- Back pain.
- Fatigue and stress.
Regular massage and massage during pregnancy – what are the differences?
Massage for the future mother, like a classic massage, is designed to relieve back pain, eliminate muscle tension, calm the nervous system and increase blood circulation. On this similarities end.
Because when massaging a future mother …
- Sharp and strong hand movements are forbidden – only calm and soft, without pressure on the body.
- Not all areas of the body can be affected (exposure to the stomach is prohibited).
- The procedure is not in the usual position, but convenient for the future mother and safe for the baby.
- The state of the woman’s health and her emotional state is of great importance. Massage for easy stroking that can be done during pregnancy
Useful types of massage during pregnancy – all the benefits and benefits
If the massage is performed correctly, taking into account all the features of the state of the future mother, and the professional, then such a procedure can only benefit.
For example …
- Soothe the nervous system, relieve stress and fatigue.
- Accelerate blood circulation.
- Eliminate the severity and pain in the back.
- Relax muscles, relieve tension from them.
- Prevent the appearance of stretch marks and swelling.
- Facilitate the condition in the presence of varicose veins.
What massage is allowed for the expectant mother – types of procedure
In the first 3 months experts do not recommend massage – the procedure can provoke miscarriage.
Only light strokes are allowed – relaxing and soothing. That is, self-massage, or procedure by the hands of a loved one.
As for the massage of the abdomen – it is prohibited at any time!
Starting from the 4th month …
- General massage – easy kneading and stroking of legs and hands, shoulder girdle and collar zone, back, feet. Performed only by a professional and only once a week for a maximum of 30 minutes. From the 7th month you can perform the procedure every day, but only in the absence of contraindications.
- Back massage. Due to the growth of the breast and fetus in the abdomen, the load on the spine throughout the entire pregnancy is extremely serious – the center of gravity shifts, the organs squeezed, the deflection of the spine and muscle tension.Massage helps relieve symptoms and improve overall health. This procedure is carried out only in the “on the side” position, and the massage technique varies according to the stage of pregnancy. The spine should not be touched with a massage.
- Foot massage. The procedure for relaxation and elimination of heaviness in the legs. It is recommended to exercise regularly to relieve the strain from the legs, improve blood circulation, prevent swelling and cramps. Usually they use the technique of stroking, circular grinding, kneading.
- Anti-cellulite massage . His many moms are doing to prevent the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks. Of course, there are risks that after beauty the beauty will wither a little, and on the beach it will be necessary to tie a handkerchief around the thighs, but the risk of miscarriage is more important than this beauty. It is important to remember that almost every method of such a procedure is a risk factor. Only the following methods are allowed (and not all, and only with the permission of the doctor): manual light massaging the buttocks (you can in special / gloves), massage with spoons with minimal effort.
- Vacuum massage. A variation of the higher procedure. Suppose, with the exception of the abdominal region, and is carried out only on the advice of a specialist (not a “doctor” in a beauty salon, but a gynecologist!).
- Massage of the collar zone. Carried out in the “sitting” position for no more than 10 minutes. The result is muscle relaxation, elimination of fatigue, acceleration of cerebral circulation. The vertebral column should not be touched.
- Facial massage. Not prohibited and useful. You can do it yourself to relax the muscles of the face, restore the skin elasticity, remove the headache. The main thing is not to overdo it with cosmetic means.
What you need to remember?
- Some popular “experts”, popularly known today as the procedure for massage of the perineum, are mistakenly called the method of preparation for childbirth and prevention of ruptures. It is important to remember that in fact such manipulations do not give such an effect, but to raise the tone of the uterus, cause infection and provoke the birth process will be easy.
- Thai massage, no matter how sung the sweet-loving employees of beauty salons, is not just forbidden during pregnancy – it is under the 1st number in the list of prohibited types of massage for girls “in position”.
- It is important to avoid with the massage of “abortive” zones. In addition to the abdomen, they include even wrists and ankles, the area of the sacrum and coccyx.
- It is not recommended to get involved with a breast massage. It’s one thing – light massaging movements during bathing, another thing – intensive massage with affecting areola and nipples. These actions are prohibited due to an increase in tonus uterus and the possible reduction of its muscle tissue. Contraindications for massage during pregnancy – when a pregnant woman should not be given a massage?
External exposure to the body during pregnancy should be particularly careful and cautious. Any careless movement can turn into a tragedy, so it is better not to take risks – all risks should be minimized.
Especially in the 1st trimester and in the 1st week. To interrupt pregnancy in this period can even lead to a light massage of the sacrum and heels.
But in the last weeks, massage is needed and important (but only with the permission of a doctor!) – it will help the body and prepare for childbirth – and, in some cases, stimulate labor (this is only the specialist!).
Massage is strictly contraindicated in the presence of …
- Severe Toxicosis .
- Varicose veins.
- Increased pressure.
- Dermatological problems.
- Diseases of the respiratory or chronic.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Infectious diseases.
- And also with the prohibition of your gynecologist.
The rules of massage for a pregnant woman
The most important thing when massaging a future mother is to reduce the risks of possible consequences to zero and the hands of a professional.No active procedures, no ad specialists and “after courses” – only qualified specialists who have relevant documents, work experience .
Focus only on the recommendations of a gynecologist, not girlfriends or neighbors!
Massage during pregnancy is an important rule.
- Forget about the 1st trimester massage!
- Since the 4th month: no abrupt movements – only light strokes and soft rhythmic rubbing.
- The masseur is only a professional, and the procedure is only with the permission of the gynecologist and with all contraindications taken into account.
- Caution with essential oils! They are not forbidden, but not all of them are known to be “equally useful”. For example, oils based on sage and mint, lavender and wormwood should be avoided, but orange and geranium oil will help in eliminating edema. Of the recommended oils – rosewood, ginger and lemon, from sprouts of wheat, carrot. But the choice is better to do in consultation with a specialist.
- “Limit” of sessions: no more than 1-2 times a week and a maximum of half an hour.
- Only manual massage is allowed! In extreme cases, with a gentle use of the mittens and brushes or spoons. Electro-massagers, jars, belts and vibro-mats are prohibited!