One of the most common reasons for a young mother to turn to a pediatrician is the appearance of rough dry spots on the baby’s skin. The most common problem in babies is in almost 100% of cases. However, most often the problem is quickly and easily solved.
What can hide under the peeling of the baby’s skin, and how not to admit it? The reasons for the appearance of dry and rough spots on the skin
The reasons for the appearance of dry and rough spots on the skin of a child – when to sound an alarm?
Any manifestation of dry “roughness” on the baby’s skin is a sign of any disruption in the functioning of the body.
Mostly, these violations are caused by illiterate care of the baby, but there are more serious reasons , which it is simply impossible to find independently.
- Adaptation. After a cozy stay in my mother’s tummy, the crumb falls into a cold “cruel” world, to the conditions of which it is still necessary to adapt. Its tender skin comes in contact with cold / warm air, rough clothing, cosmetics, hard water, with diapers, etc. The natural skin reaction to such irritants is a variety of rashes. If the crumb is calm and healthy, not cranky, and redness and swelling there, then there are probably no strong reasons for concern.
- Too dry air in the nursery. Mom’s note: air humidity should be between 55 and 70%. You can use a special device, a hydrometer during infancy. It is especially important to regulate the level of humidity in the nursery in winter, when the air dried by the heating affects the baby’s health by skin peeling, sleep disturbance, susceptibility of the mucous nasopharynx to the viruses attacking from the outside.
- Illiterate skin care. For example, use potassium permanganate in bathing, soap or shampoos / foams that are not suitable for baby skin. And also the use of cosmetics (creams and talcs, wet wipes, etc.), which can cause dry skin.
- Natural factors. Excess sunlight – or frost and weathering of the skin.
- Fatigue. In this case, the scaly areas of the skin have a red tint and distinct edges. Sometimes the skin even becomes wet and peels off. As a rule, if everything went so far, it means that the problem was simply started by the mother. Output: more often to change diapers, arrange air baths, bathe with broths of herbs in boiled water and use special means for treatment.
- Exudative diathesis. This reason usually appears on the face and near the temechka, and in a neglected state – and throughout the body. Symptomatics is simple and recognizable: red spots with the presence of white scales and vesicles. The problem arises from malnutrition in the mother (note – with breastfeeding) or a baby (if he is an “artificer”).
- Allergic diathesis. 15% of toddlers are familiar with this misfortune at the first year of life. At first, such rashes appear on the face, then pass to the entire body. Allergies can manifest themselves with itching of the skin and restlessness of the crumbs.
- Contact dermatitis. The pattern of this cause is also simple: rough roughness appears on the soles of the feet or hands accompanied by burning and pain due to the effects of soap or rubbing, chemical products, etc.
- Eczema. More severe variant of dermatitis. Poured such spots usually on the cheeks and on the forehead in the form of different-colored red spots with fuzzy boundaries. Treat eczema with the same methods as dermatitis.
- Worms. Yes, there are problems with the skin and because of them. And not only with the skin. The main symptoms: poor sleep, scratching teeth at night, lack of appetite, constant fatigue, pain near the navel, as well as rough spots and sores.
- Lishay. It can occur after a rest in a public place (bath, beach, pool, etc.) from contact with extraneous animals or infected people, depending on its kind (pearly, multicolored). The spots are pink only at first, then they turn brown and yellow, appearing all over the body.
- Pink lichen. Not so common disease. It manifests itself from sweating in the heat or after overcooling in the winter. In addition, pink spots (can be itchy) all over the body, can be accompanied by joint pain, chills and fever.
- Psoriasis. Non-contagious and hereditary disease, the course of which worsens as one grows up. Scaly patches have different shapes, and they can meet on the head and any limbs.
- Lyme disease. This trouble happens after a tick bite. It manifests first by burning and redness. Requires antibiotic treatment.
What to do if the child has very dry skin – first aid to the baby at home
For the mother, dry spots on the skin of her children are a reason to be on the alert. Self-medication, of course, should not be dealt with, a visit to a pediatric dermatologist and getting his recommendations is the main step. The specialist will do scraping and, after receiving the results of the analysis, will prescribe the treatment in accordance with the diagnosis.
For example , antihistamines, special vitamin complexes that increase immunity, antihelminthics, etc.
The desire of the mother – to save the crumb from incomprehensible peeling – it is understandable, but need to remember what can not be done categorically:
- Apply ointments or creams, based on hormonal drugs. Such a tool gives a quick effect, but the cause itself is not treated. In addition, these funds alone can cause harm to the health of the child, and against the background of the alleged improvement, time will be missed for the treatment of the cause itself.
- Pick up the crusts (if any) on such stains.
- Giving medicines for allergies and other diseases provided an unclear diagnosis.
First aid to the child – what can mom do?
- Assess the condition of the baby – are there any concomitant symptoms, are there any obvious reasons for the appearance of such spots.
- Eliminate all possible allergens and eliminate all possible external causes of staining.
- Remove soft toys from the room, allergenic foods from the diet.
- Use drugs that are acceptable for treating dry skin and various skin manifestations. For example, a regular baby moisturizer or beepantene.
Prevention of dryness and flaking of the skin in a child
Everyone knows the well-known truth that it is always easier to prevent a disease than to take long and expensive treatment.
Dry skin and the appearance of scaly patches – is no exception, and you need to think about prevention measures in advance.
For the mother (before delivery and during the feeding period):
- Eliminate bad habits.
- Carefully monitor your diet and regime of the day.
- Regularly walk (this strengthens the immunity of both mothers and fetuses).
- Follow the diet when breastfeeding.
- Use only high-quality mixtures of known manufacturers.
For the baby:
- Remove from the child’s room all objects that collect dust, including a canopy over the crib.
- Limit all possible contacts of crumbs to pets.
- Wet cleaning – daily.
- Maintain the desired humidity level in the room (for example, by purchasing air humidifier ) and regularly ventilate it.
- Bathe the baby in water 37-38 degrees, without using soap (it dries the skin). You can use herbal decoctions (on the recommendation of a doctor) or special moisturizing children’s remedies.
- Use baby cream (or bepantine) before walking and after water procedures.Children’s cosmetics, with the tendency of the child’s skin to dryness or allergy, should be replaced with olive oil sterilized.
- Remove all synthetics from the children’s closet: linens and clothes – only from cotton fabrics, clean and ironed.
- Choose a gentle washing powder for washing baby things or use a household / child soap. Many carapaces skin problems disappear right after mothers switch from powders to soap. Rinse thoroughly after washing.
- Do not overdry with air conditioners and additional heating appliances.
- Timely change the baby diapers and wash after every “hike” in the toilet.
- It is more common to arrange air baths for crumbs – the body should breathe, and the body should be hardened.
- Do not wrap a child in “one hundred clothes” in the apartment (and on the street, too, to dress the baby in the weather).
And do not panic. In most cases, this problem can be easily solved by observing the rules for carapace care and with the help of Bepantin.