- When you can pick berries
- Varieties of honeysuckle
- Planting and care of honeysuckle
- What is useful in fresh and frozen fruits
- Recipes for applying honeysuckle in the treatment of some diseases
Science knows about 200 species of plants, in Russia in the wild about one and a half dozen species grow. The shrub is popular, especially when used for decorative purposes. Nevertheless, berries collected from an edible variety of honeysuckle, have a number of useful properties. One of the most famous inedible varieties of fruits is called wolfberry . In Kamchatka, the plant is called wild cherry .
When it is possible to pick berries
A wild edible variety of shrubbery does not exceed a meter high, it grows mainly in Eastern Siberia and the Far East.
Fruits ripen in a couple of weeks before ripeness of strawberry, so in early July you can eat dark purple or black berries, covered with wax coating. Their shape is round or elongated, the surface is tuberous. Inside, juicy, red-violet, taste like blueberries, sweet and sour. In food you can eat only blue or black fruits, red or orange poisonous.
Depending on the climate, there are more sugars and tannins in the berries, they are slightly bitter. If the climate is cool and moist, more vitamin C is accumulated in the fruit.
Varieties of honeysuckle
Shrub is unpretentious and attracts attention not only to the beneficial properties of berries, but also early maturity, remarkable adaptability to conditions cultivation.
As a result of breeding, several dozen varieties of honeysuckle with useful berries have been bred, which appear for 3-4 years of planting shrubs.
A distinctive feature of the bush is the need to plant 2-3 different varieties, and blooming at one time, otherwise there is no cross pollination.
As a rule, shrubs are planted not only for the sake of fruits, but also as an ornamental plant, along alleys, near arbours. In the garden it is convenient to use both functions of the plant, growing fruit varieties.
Edible fruits give the following types: Edible , Kamchatka , Altai , Turmioninova honeysuckle , various results of their selection can be found on sale.
When choosing a variety for a small plot, it is necessary to take into account the height of the future bush so that it does not give too much shade:
- The moderate height of the shrubs Ramenskaya , Gzhel Late , Gourmand , they grow no higher than 1, 5m.
- Up to 2 m can grow Gzhelka , Puppet , Shahina , Princess Diana , Cinderella .
- Bushes of Volkhov variety often exceed 2 m.
If early ripeness is important, you should choose the appropriate variety:
- Faster than all in the middle of June give ripe useful berries Princess Diana , Gzhel early .
- Near the end of June, the crop ripens from Cinderella , Azure , Shahini , Volkhov .
- At the end of June pleases with fruits Gourmand .
Above the harvest of honeysuckle in varieties Cinderella , Kuminovka , Gourmand , Shahin , from one bush manages to collect more than 2 kg. Honeysuckle Gzhel Late , Azure practically not showered.
Planting and care of honeysuckle
You can propagate the plant with seeds, but often it is too long, the harvest has to wait up to 5 years.In addition, with this method of reproduction, the plant does not preserve varietal properties, so you need to use a stalk or a prepared seedling.
In the first year, seedlings require abundant watering, and the soil must be loosened very carefully, so as not to damage the roots located at the very surface. If you fill the ground with sawdust, humus, loosening under the seedling is not necessary. In the spring it is useful to feed nitrogen fertilizers, in the autumn phosphorus and potash fertilizers.
Young bushes require pruning, all weak shoots need to be removed, leaving only 4-5 strongest, shortening them by one third. In subsequent years, you need to periodically remove dry and broken branches.
After about 7 years, the berries become smaller, so the old 5-year old branches need to be removed, making the crown of the bush more rare.
Old shrubs for rejuvenation can be completely cut off by removing all the branches. Then abundantly watered, feeding with infusion of grass or manure with nettles. New branches grow quickly, start to bloom and yield.
What is useful in fresh and frozen fruits
100 g of honeysuckle fruit contains 40 kcal. The trace elements are represented by potassium, sodium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium. Of the trace elements, the highest content of iron , manganese , silicon .
The fruits contain a high content of vitamins, especially vitamin C. They are rich in beta-carotene, vitamins A, B1, B2.
- Vitamin B1 is important for the processes of growth and development, its sufficient supply makes the heart healthy, the stomach, intestines and nervous system improve;
- Vitamin B2 plays a role in the creation of red blood cells, antibodies, with its help the reproductive function is normalized, the thyroid gland improves. Its sufficient supply improves the condition of the skin, nails, and the appearance of the hair.
Honeysuckle juice is used as an effective remedy against depriving . It is freshly applied to the affected area several times a day for a week or two. It is also useful to apply berry flesh.
For the prevention of gastritis and peptic ulcer stomach berry benefits in any form, they are also indicated for digestive disorders. High content of water-soluble fiber, pectins, as well as organic acids and tannins in the honeysuckle are useful in stimulating the secretion of gastric juice, effectively removing various waste products from the body.
A significant amount of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant, keeps the cells healthy, prevents their damage by free radicals, which reduces the risk of malignant tumors.
Regular use of useful berries of honeysuckle improves cerebral circulation , they have an anti-sclerotic effect, repeatedly increase the ability to remember.
A total of half a glass of frozen, and preferably fresh, honeysuckle fruits are useful property to eliminate the fragility of capillaries , this is prevention of low hemoglobin, reduced vitality. Such a small number of berries gives a daily rate of B vitamins, iron. Healthy capillaries slow the aging of the skin, for many years it remains young and velvety.
To prevent visual impairment, it is also necessary to eat more berries, they reduce the stress on the blood vessels, prevent the formation of glaucoma .
Recipes for the use of honeysuckle in the treatment of certain diseases
- In case of a high fever with a cold, brew 30 g of fruit with a glass of boiling water, insist half an hour. Take 3 times a day for an hour before meals.
- With increased pressure, anemia brew 30g of honeysuckle berries with a glass of boiling water, insist 3-4 hours in a thermos bottle. Take 3 p.s. one hour before meals.
- Elimination of pain in the gallbladder: 1 p.s. Fruit grind with sugar, add hot water. Having drunk with slow sips, it is possible to achieve reduction of painful sensations.In case of heartburn is useful for a long time to chew berries, and only then swallow them.