The 41st week is already coming, and the karapuz is still not rushing to the light of God … This situation is familiar to every 10th woman. And the passive expectation of future bouts is not always an ideal solution.
When the stimulation of labor is really necessary, whether it is dangerous, and how it is carried out, we understand the nuances.
- Indications for stimulation of labor
- What is the danger of stimulation for the mother and baby?
- 3 methods of stimulation of labor in the maternity home
- 5 ways of home birth stimulation
Indications for stimulation of labor – who and when decides to stimulate childbirth?
The term “stimulation of labor” is used when the delivery at any term of pregnancy has to be induced artificially.
It should be noted that during the period from the 37th to the 42nd week, no stimulation of labor is required, if there is no evidence for it.
Also, it is not needed in the case of normally occurring births.
Indications for the stimulation of labor are considered by experts …
- Truly borne pregnancy .
- Detection of abnormal placental changes.
- Symptoms of any disorders that are dangerous to the health and life of the fetus.
- Late toxicosis (not always).
- Previously, the discharged waters (given the high risk of infection through the cervix).
- Placental abruption.
- Certain chronic diseases of the mother. In particular, diabetes mellitus, hypertension and so on.
Naturally, the decision to stimulate childbirth is taken by the doctor only and only after a full examination , which will be determined that further pregnancy can harm the child or mother.
It should be noted that a pregnant pregnancy is not just an extra week or two of discomfort for a mother, it is, first of all, the risk of bleeding in the mother, hypoxia in the baby, as well as weak labor activity, etc. Therefore, if the doctor decides on the stimulation of childbirth, you must strictly follow the instructions !
- If there is any doubt – it is worth doing a stimulation – you can contact another specialist to make sure the correctness of the decision.
- To rely solely on the date the child is expected to be delivered by the doctor (or at his date) when making a decision. On this date and the “alleged”. That is, the decision is made only after 40 obstetric weeks – and only according to the indications. Possible complications and consequences of the stimulation of labor – what is it dangerous for the mother and the baby?
Stimulation of births is by no means an “ordinary” phenomenon. This is an exceptionally urgent option for childbirth, which, in fact, should be natural and without medical intervention.
Of course, any intervention in the natural process can not be useful – but, in most cases, stimulation does not cause significant harm.
However, it is worth mentioning the possible risks for the baby from using this procedure:
- CNS disorders in the baby after birth.
- Jaundice newborn .
Risks for Mom:
- Soreness of childbirth: stimulated bouts are always stronger than usual – and with shorter breaks.
- It is impossible to move under a dropper, which complicates the general condition of the mother in childbirth.
- Stimulation does not work in all cases, and then a cesarean section can not be avoided.
3 methods of stimulation of labor in the maternity home
Conclusion – whether there is an overdraft – is done by specialists at a certain time (closer to the expected date of delivery) and solely on the basis of the conducted studies:
- Evaluation of all parameters (fetal size, fluid composition, placental state, etc.).
If a thickening of the bones of the fetal skull, low water, aging of the placenta, or other signs indicating a delay is found on the results of the examination, a corresponding decision is made about the artificial stimulation of labor.
All methods are classified into 2 groups:
- Methods and means that accelerate the opening of the cervix.
- Methods and tools for stimulating uterine contractions.
The most popular medical methods for the stimulation of labor include the following:
- Amniotomy. In this case, through the cervix of the uterus, a specialist introduces a special hook tool and, catching the amniotic membrane, performs the puncture of the bladder, as a result of which the outflow of water and the onset of contractions occur. Opening the bladder also stimulates the production of prostaglandins, which contribute to the intensification of labor. The method is often used, but it is considered risky because of the possible infection, especially if the method was not able to start the delivery process. Also, possible risks include the prolapse of the umbilical cord (here without emergency medical intervention), and damage to blood vessels with subsequent bleeding. The procedure is absolutely painless.
- Oxytocin. An agent that is a synthesized analogue of the hormone produced by the pituitary gland. This drug in the form of tablets or a solution is used to activate the contractile abilities of the uterus muscles in different cases – for stimulation of childbirth or lactation, with postpartum bleeding, with mild labor. To avoid complications, the use of the drug is excluded in the abnormal position of the fetus, scars on the uterus, placenta previa, and also in the narrow pelvis of the mother. Dosage is usually selected specifically for each situation, taking into account the individual characteristics of the mother. Side effects and risks: increased labor pain, a powerful contraction of the uterus (note – there is a risk of disruption of blood circulation in her and, as a consequence, hypoxia of the baby).
- Prostaglandins. This remedy is used when the cervix is simply not ready to be opened, although the delivery process is already under way. These hormones contribute to a rapid “maturation” immature for the birth of the uterus, stimulating smooth muscles, and also acting as a stimulant on the cervix of the uterus, on it itself, and so on. With the introduction of the drug, specialists strive to minimize the risk of the side effect of prostaglandins, using them in the form of a gel or candles. It should be noted that tablets and drug solutions are often used in the interruption of pregnancy, and the risks of using the drug during childbirth orally and intravenously are quite high: excessive stimulation of uterine contractions (note – with all the consequences), nausea and vomiting,
There are other drugs known to stimulate labor, but they are rarely used.
It should be noted that drug stimulation is prescribed only in exceptional cases, when there is a threat to the life of a mother or baby.
5 ways of home delivery stimulation – only on the advice of a doctor!
It is strongly discouraged to stimulate labor at home, unless an obstetrician or gynecologist is near you, or the appropriate advice is not given to you by your doctor.
Any actions that can lead to the approach of delivery – only on the recommendation of your gynecologist!
The main “techniques” that are used at home to stimulate childbirth, can be attributed …
- Stimulation of nipples. This massage provokes the production of oxytocin, which in turn stimulates delivery. That is why the early application of an infant to the breast after childbirth helps to accelerate the birth of a child’s place and reduce the risk of bleeding. If you do not plan to give birth early, then it’s worthwhile to be more careful with intimate relationships, if they are present at a later date (do not overdo it).
- Enema. Reduction of the intestines also contributes to the release of prostaglandins.
- Sex. The most famous method of approaching labor, but very risky in later terms. It is worth saying that the contraction of the uterus during sex and the production of oxytocin occur even regardless of whether there was an orgasm, and in male sperm there are prostaglandins, softening the cervix.
- “Up and down” : walking up and down the stairs can help mom, whose birth is a bit late.
- Squats, long walks. Remember that excessive loads lead to placental abruption.
- Sharp dishes. Acute spices in food are stimulants of bowel contractions, and after it – and the walls of the uterus.
In addition to those listed, there are other ways to bring the moment of birth closer, including ridiculous, dangerous and frankly stupid.
Video: Natural methods of birth stimulation
But it’s important to remember the main thing:
- Do not use any means and methods to approach delivery if your term of delivery has not yet come up, and there are no such recommendations of the doctor. You run the risk of harming yourself and your baby, and the consequences can be unpredictable.
- Fatigue from pregnancy is not a reason to stimulate childbirth!
- Any means to stimulate childbirth can turn into a tragedy if there are no qualified doctors nearby if the hospital is long to go, if the mother has a narrow pelvis and she can not give birth on her own (in an emergency) if the baby lies downside down, and in other cases .
- It is strictly forbidden to stimulate births independently at home by medication, including suppositories and acupuncture.
If the results of the survey show that everything is in order with the carapace, and the doctor recommends waiting a little longer, do not rush the crumb – let him live in a pussy. Give him time – he will decide when it’s time to be born.
The pathological symptoms and some physiological conditions of the pregnant woman require direct intervention of the attending physician!