- Composition of the healing plant
- The healing properties of the hawthorn
- Pharmacy products
- How to brew hawthorn in the home. Juice, tea, infusions, tincture
- Use of hawthorn in heart diseases
- Increases or lowers the pressure of hawthorn?
- Treatment of hawthorn diseases of vessels, atherosclerosis
- Benefit of hawthorn for overwork and stress relief
- Treatment of hawthorn metabolic disorders
- Treatment of prostatitis
- Hawthorn varieties
- Planting, reproduction and care. Creating a hedge
- Harnessing flowers and fruits for the winter
- Contraindications and possible harm
The fruits and flowers of hawthorn bring enormous health benefits. Their properties are used for the prevention and treatment of heart diseases, blood vessels, normalization of pressure and digestion, overcoming fatigue, insomnia, eliminating the effects of nerve overexertion. Berries of wild varieties were used already in Ancient China and Asia. In the 16th century, cultural plant species were harvested. At first the hawthorn was useful for removing liquid stools with dysentery . Then it was used to improve the functioning of the heart and the state of the blood vessels.
Composition of the healing plant
The exact chemical composition that explains the useful properties of hawthorn is still unknown. It is believed that the therapeutic effect is achieved flavonoids , plant polyphenols. In addition to giving fruits to a particular color, they help to eliminate the fragility of the walls of blood vessels, neutralize free radicals in the body.
- quercitin maintains elasticity, reduces the permeability of capillaries, has antitumor and antioxidant effects;
- quercetin is a wonderful tool for the prevention and treatment of cerebral circulation disorders, cardiovascular diseases. A sufficient supply of quercetin reduces the risk of cataract formation.
- hyperoside increases the utilization of glucose, increases the use of oxygen, enriches the heart with potassium ions. As a result, the contractility of the myocardium , the middle layer of the heart muscle, and the magnitude of cardiac output increase.
- vitexin dilates blood vessels, strengthens metabolic processes in the heart muscle.
The flowers and fruits of hawthorn also benefit from the properties of the acids they contain:
- ursolic renders wound healing and anti-inflammatory effect;
- oleanolic tones up and intensifies the blood supply to the heart, brain;
- chlorogenic has an anti-sclerotic effect, useful for the normalization of kidney function, liver, has a choleretic effect.
- coffee has strong antibacterial properties, also promotes the secretion of bile.
The fruits of the plant are especially abundant carotene , provitamin A, as well as vitamins C, E, K. Some varieties of carotene in berries are comparable to carrots or rosehips. Fruits contain sugars, and sorbitol , recommended in case of diabetes.
High content potassium , calcium , magnesium , iron , as well as trace elements manganese , copper , zinc .
The amount of tannic substances decreases after freezing, the berries become sweeter and not so astringent.
The healing properties of the hawthorn
The intake of fruits and flowers of the plant in the form of infusion, tincture, decoction benefits the entire body, exerting a complex effect on various organs and systems.
Heart . Providing vasodilating effect, hawthorn brings the benefit of the property of toning the heart muscle, providing sufficient oxygen supply. The frequency decreases, the rhythm is established, the force of the heart beats increases. As a result, the excitability of the heart decreases, its fatigue is removed, coronary blood flow and cerebral circulation improve.
Hawthorn in one form or another is useful in reducing the manifestations of mild forms of atrial fibrillation, tachycardia.
Vessels . The plant normalizes the parameters of blood coagulability, cholesterol level, prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques. It is used in case of vasospasm.
The nervous system . Providing sedative (soothing, but without the onset of drowsiness) action, a useful plant reduces the excitability of the nervous system, helps to eliminate insomnia, helps to normalize sleep.
Digestive system . Taking infusions and tinctures helps with gastritis in any form, flatulence , in case of difficulty digestion in children. It is used to eliminate loose stools.
Flowers and fruits of plants help to cope with headache, dizziness, dyspnea. The antioxidant effect inhibits the formation of tumors of various nature, increases immunity, helps to restore strength after infectious diseases.
Nursing mothers use the useful property of hawthorn to stimulate the formation of milk.
Application of the plant in cosmetic products helps to restore the natural moisture of the skin, tones up, relieves swelling, eliminates manifestations of age-related changes.
As a rule, for the preparation of drugs, possess a number of useful properties, applied flowers and fruits hawthorn ordinary , prickly , blood-red and other small-fruited species. They are better studied and contain a significant number of compounds that normalize the work of the heart.
Hawthorn available in different dosage forms: plant material , powder , lozenges , tincture , extract . They are useful in eliminating arrhythmia, they are also used to calm the central nervous system, reduce cholesterol, normalize blood coagulability, increase milk production, eliminate digestive disorders in infants.
Flowers обладают have a better ability to lower blood pressure in comparison with fruits.
Hawthorn tincture is prepared from crushed dried fruit on 70% alcohol.
Kardiovalen , drops for oral administration due to forming part of adonizid , tincture valerian , extract hawthorn useful property of increasing the strength of heart contractions, have a sedative act.
Valeydin, alcohol drops to eliminate spasm of smooth muscles of blood vessels and internal organs, also have a sedative effect.
<Fontorelax, released in the form of tablets, contains rhizome valerian and extract of hawthorn flowers . It benefits from sedative properties, helps to cope with insomnia, increased nervous excitability.
<Kadrovit in the form of elixir , not dosed liquid dosage form, tones up, increases the body’s resistance to harmful effects, helps to cope more quickly with fatigue. The structure includes flowers and fruits hawthorn , birch buds , pine nuts , honey , berries chokeberry chokeberry .
Amrta, elixir in a mixture of alcohol-water extract of vegetable raw materials hips , elecampane , ginger , cardamom , juniper , Thyme , fruits licorice and hawthorn .Its usefulness and medicinal properties are manifested by a tonic and restorative effect. Demidov syrup has a choleretic effect, eliminates spasm of smooth muscles, reduces the formation of gases in flatulence, stimulates peristalsis. Contains fruits hawthorn , ayr , birch buds , bark oak , oregano .
How to brew hawthorn in the home. Juice, tea, infusions, tincture
In the season it is useful to drink <style style . It improves blood circulation, normalizes the digestive system.
A recipe for tea from hawthorn . In the evening put in a thermos 20-30 berries, you can add fruit of a dogrose, brew 1 liter of boiling water. In the morning, useful tea is ready. It is better to brew fruits as a whole, since they are more useful in this way.
Of dried fruits and flowers of hawthorn, which have a lot of useful properties, you can prepare infusion.
The simplest recipe for cooking is the infusion of hawthorn at home – brew whole berries with boiling water and leave overnight in a thermos at the rate of a couple of handfuls of fruit per 1 liter of boiling water. Take one third of the glass an hour before meals 3-4 times a day. Its properties are useful from arrhythmia, angina pectoris, to eliminate nervous excitement.
If the berries are crushed, the infusion can be obtained more quickly. Brew 1с.л. crushed berries with a glass of boiling water. Half an hour later, the home remedy is ready. Take 1/3 cup for an hour before eating.
Hawthorn tincture is prepared from chopped dried fruits or flowers. They insist two weeks on vodka at the rate of 2 cups of vodka per 4s.l. vegetable raw materials. Ready tincture is filtered. It takes 25-30 drops with water one hour before a meal.
In flower tincture, there are more therapeutic and useful properties for getting rid of hypertension, angina pectoris.
The use of hawthorn in heart disease
The plant is widely used to treat heart disease. As a rule, they manifest themselves with various symptoms. Sometimes fatigue increases, there is weakness even in the absence of physical activity, and night rest does not restore strength. Disturbed cerebral circulation causes fainting, loss of consciousness. Sudden swelling can form, dyspnea and a feeling of squeezing in the chest, especially when lying down. When these symptoms appear, you should always consult a doctor.
If, for some reason or another, the heart muscle loses its ability to contract strongly enough, the remaining organs begin to experience oxygen starvation. To normalize blood circulation, it is necessary to take hawthorn, a useful property to prevent fatigue of the heart muscle, to exert a tonic and intensifying contraction effect.
Tea balm with hawthorn . To 100 g black tea add 2 p.s. rose hips , 1 ч.л. hawthorn berries , 1с.л. motherwort , 1с.л. peppermint , 1 ч.л valerian , 1 ч.л. camomile flowers . Brew and drink like regular tea.
Hawthorn juice . A glass of fresh or thawed fruits should be washed, chopped, added a little water, heated to + 30 ° C. Put the raw material in gauze and squeeze the juice with a spoon. Take 1 tsp. one hour before meals. The remaining cake is suitable for brewing, it can be made from infusion.
Hawthorn infusion . Brew 1с.л. chopped fruit with a glass of boiling water, insist half an hour, strain. Take half a cup in the morning and at night.
When preparing infusion, you can take 2 parts hawthorn flowers and motherwort , add 1 part peppermint and hop cones . Brew 1с.л. mix with a glass of boiling water, insist half an hour, drain. Drink a glass during the day. Peppermint dilates blood vessels, hops soothes.
Ischemic heart disease (CHD), angina pectoris and myocardial infarction
If myocardium , the middle layer of the heart muscle, oxygen is not supplied enough, there is a muscle spasm accompanied by a chest tightness, squeezing. As a rule, ischemic heart disease develops as a result of disruption of the coronary arteries , through which the myocardium is supplied with oxygenated blood. A common cause is atherosclerosis , deposition on the walls of cholesterol vessels and the formation of atheromatous plaques .
The chronic form of the disease is called angina pectoris or pectoral toad, it is manifested by attacks, removed nitroglycerin . The acute form of ischemic heart disease is called myocardial infarction .
- For prevention of coronary heart disease it is useful to take courses of infusion of fruits and flowers hawthorn , a useful property to reduce cholesterol, normalize blood pressure and heart rate. For taste, you can prepare the infusion together with the fruit dogrose .
- For prevention of angina pectoris and myocardial infarction it is worth preparing an infusion of hawthorn and motherwort . Mix for 1 hour. crushed berries or flowers from the herbage motherwort, brew in a glass of boiling water, insist for an hour, drain. Take 1/3 cup an hour before meals.
- Take 1 part of the fruit hawthorn and motherwort , add 2 parts valerian and fruit feynhelya , useful property to provide calming effect . Brew 1с.л. collecting a glass of boiling water, to simmer in a water bath for 15 minutes. When the infusion cools, drain. Take 1/3 cup after 2 hours after eating.
- Infusion from angina pectoris can be made from some berries. Brew hawthorn based on 1s.l. fruit for 1 cup of boiling water, insist the night in a thermos. In the morning, drain the infusion, wringing the berries through a thin fabric. Take a glass one hour before a meal.
After the myocardial infarction is shown, taking 2 times a day 1/2 cup juice of hawthorn and 1 ч.л. vegetable oil . Some time later, take a weak infusion of berries instead of tea.
Increases or decreases the pressure of hawthorn?
The healing plant benefits from the property of normalizing high or low blood pressure, so it is used in prescriptions from hypertension and hypotension .
Recipes from hypertension
In case of hypertension the risk of stroke, heart attack increases. High pressures can also signal kidney problems.
The useful property of hawthorn to reduce pressure is applied in the recipe of a famous folk remedy. Mix for 1 hour. chopped fruit , as well as motherwort , cudweed , add a little dried chamomile flowers . Brew a glass of boiling water. An hour later strain. Take 1 tsp. one hour before meals.
Of the hawthorn flowers another medication is being prepared. Dried vegetable raw materials at the rate of 1 tsp. on a glass is brewed in the evening, the night in the closed ware is insisted. It takes 1 glass per hour before meals for a month.
Another recipe for increased blood pressure. Mix 3 pieces of hawthorn flowers , motherwort , 2 pieces of fruit chokeberry chokeberry , 1 part clover . Brew at the rate of 1 tsp. collecting a glass of boiling water. Insist in the thermos for the night. Take one third of the glass an hour before meals.
Mix 3 teaspoons. hawthorn flowers and 2 tsp.grass capsules medicinal , it benefits from the property of normalizing the tone of blood vessels and blood coagulability. Pour the mixture in three glasses of cold water. Bring to a boil, insist 5 hours. Take a glass one hour before a meal.
Simple prescription for hypotension
With reduced pressure, weakness and dizziness occur more often, hypotension badly tolerates heat. But their state of health improves with sufficient motor activity. To maintain their tone they need to drink hawthorn infusion.
For its preparation, flowers and fruits are applied at the rate of 2 hp. dried crushed berries and 1ch. flowers for a glass of boiling water. After a couple of hours, strain, take 1 glass an hour before meals or after 2 hours the food field.
Treatment of hawthorn diseases of vessels, atherosclerosis
Walls of healthy vessels are elastic, if necessary their tone easily changes. In the case of cholesterol deposition, decrease in elasticity, the lumen decreases or becomes uneven, as in varicose veins . As a result, the organs do not receive the necessary amount of oxygen, the outflow of blood worsens.
- For prevention and treatment of varicose veins take 3 parts hawthorn flowers and oregano , 4 parts St. John’s wort and motherwort. Brew in the evening. mix a glass of water, insist the night. Take 1/2 cup an hour before meals.
- The following composition also helps. Take 1 part berries hawthorn , camomile flowers , oregano , kidney tea , 2 parts peppermint and motherwort . At night brew 1 tsp. mixture with a glass of boiling water. Take an hour before eating 1/2 cup.
If atherosclerosis affects the brain arteries, stroke occurs , arteries of the kidneys – hypertension , coronary arteries – IHD.
The cause of this disease is considered to be a wrong lifestyle, metabolic disorders, thyroid diseases that cause an increase in blood cholesterol levels. Cholesterol itself, a natural fatty alcohol, in certain quantities is necessary for the body, it is specifically produced by the liver.
- From the atherosclerosis use useful properties of hawthorn flowers. Of these, the next infusion is prepared. Brew 1с.л. dried flowers, insist 15 minutes, strain. Take 1/2 cup half an hour before meals.
- If you use fruits, it is better to insist them in the thermos for 2 hours. Take 1-2 c.l. one hour before meals.
- For the prevention of IHD, stroke is effective the following prescription. Take 2 pieces of hawthorn fruit and hips , 1 part fruit chokeberry and carrot seed . Brew 3 tablespoons. mix with a liter of boiling water, insist for 3 hours. Take 1/2 cup 6 times a day.
- Crushed hawthorn berries per 1 c.p. for 0.5 liters of water, cook over low heat for half an hour, adding 2 seconds. sand. Keep refrigerated. Take from atherosclerosis by 1 second. an hour before meals and at night.
The use of hawthorn in overwork and stress relief
The healing properties of flowers and fruits are used to prevent the healthy state of the heart and vessels, normalize the pressure, they help to cope with nervous overwork.
It’s no secret that constant mobilization during a busy day tires the nervous system, causes an increase in blood pressure, increases the heart rate. Irritability, headaches, disturbed sleep.
The fruits of hawthorn are useful in reducing the excitation of the nervous system, dilating the vessels. As a result, cerebral and cardiac circulation improves, and the supply of sufficient oxygen increases.
- To better fall asleep and sleep soundly, wake up rested, in the morning brew a few berries in a thermos. Take ready-made tea at night, you can with honey.
- Brew 1sp. berries with a glass of boiling water, insist in a thermos for 1 hour. Take 3 p.s. 3-4 times a day for an hour before meals.
- Tea from berries hawthorn and St. John’s Wort benefits property to eliminate feelings of anxiety, irritability. Mix the crushed fruits and grass in equal quantities, brew 1 tsp. mixture with a glass of boiling water. After 15 minutes, tea is ready.
Treatment of hawthorn metabolic disorders
It’s no secret that the quality of nutrition of a modern resident is far from ideal, often have to use poor-quality or poorly combined products. The lack of fresh vegetables and fruits prevents the intestines from regularly getting rid of harmful substances. As a result, metabolic processes are violated, the level of cholesterol is increased, the constant companion becomes an increased pressure, the work of the heart becomes more difficult.
In case of gastritis the gastric mucosa becomes inflamed. To eliminate heartburn and other unpleasant manifestations of the disease, it is beneficial infusion of hawthorn and peppermint. For its preparation, mix and brew for 1 h. of each component with a glass of boiling water. After half an hour, the infusion is ready.
Because of the violation of metabolic processes in the gall bladder, stagnation occurs, which causes the formation of stones. This prevents the liver from effectively purifying blood from harmful substances, worsening the general condition of the body.
Infusion of hawthorn flowers brings the benefit of the ability to normalize metabolic processes, it is used in the treatment of diseases of the organs of the digestive system. The infusion is prepared at the rate of 1 tsp. on a glass of boiling water, it is infused for 1 hour. Take 1/4 cup an hour before meals.
Treatment of prostatitis
Hawthorn is useful for preventing prostatitis and prostate adenoma , a benign tumor that appears to be associated with age-related hormonal changes. In addition to discomfort in the lower abdomen, the disease manifests fatigue and irritability.
Using hawthorn tea normalizes the sexual function, simultaneously calms and improves the work of the heart.
The following collection is also useful for men: mix 1 part of hawthorn flowers and peppermint , 2 parts veronica officinalis , 3 parts ivan-tea flowers and mountaineer . To brew 1 с.л. mix with a glass of boiling water, insist 20-30 minutes. Take 1/3 cup an hour before meals.
The ancient plant is diverse in variety, growing in different countries. In Russia and CIS the most common varieties are blood-red ( Siberian ), spiny ( ordinary ), single-bore ( single-stem ). In addition, varieties Daurian , Altai , Ukrainian and many others used for the prevention and treatment of numerous diseases are grown.
Shrub or small tree up to 4 m in height with straight, sparse long (up to 5 cm) spines. Flowering is short-lived, 3-4 days. As a rule, it happens in May-June and is accompanied by an unpleasant smell of stale fish.
Round berries 8-10cm with 3-4 bones are edible, differ in sour taste, ripen in September-October. The first harvest appears after 7 years or later.
The plant is unpretentious, well tolerates frost and drought, poor soil. Lives 300-400 years. Often used in hedges. In the wild, it is widespread in the taiga of Siberia, in the Far East near the source of moisture.
Grows shrub or tree to 5 m. Hawthorn berries are small, about 1 cm in diameter. It is characterized by slow growth, in the wild it occurs throughout Europe.
It differs by shadowiness, undemanding to the composition of the soil, easily tolerates haircut and molding. Widely used to create difficult-to-penetrate natural fences.
It is popular in the southern and central region of Russia, growing in Central Asia, the Caucasus. Unlike the prickly variety, it has a high growth rate. Lives up to 200-300 years in the form of a tree up to 3-6m.Spines rare, 1 cm long. In berries, one bone, fruiting begins after 6 years.
Forms many shoots, easily tolerates haircut. A lot of decorative varieties are distinguished, differing in the shape of the crown, leaves, lack of spines, constant flowering.
Planting, reproduction and care. Creation of a hedge
Hawthorn is propagated by stratified seeds (aged in the cold before germination), root offspring and cuttings , by layers , by grafting .
Reproduction by seeds (from the bone) is used if it is required to grow a hedge, since this method will lose the useful properties of the hawthorn variety. Seeds can be planted in autumn, getting them from slightly unripe fruits. And thicker, because many do not rise. When planting in spring, seeds should be kept for several months at a temperature of +1 .. + 3С.
In the first year, the seedling grows by 10-12 cm. In the second or third year, when it reaches about half a meter in height, the first pruning of the plant is performed. Leave 3-6 lower buds, which causes the lateral shoots to grow intensively. They are also cut off, leaving no more than two.
The seedlings are planted on a permanent place at the age of two, so they best take root. Hawthorn saplings should not be placed next to the apple, pear, plum, as these plants have common pests.
Dig a pit 50×50 cm, the distance between the pits is up to 2 m. At the bottom fill the fertile soil layer, make humus, mineral fertilizers. The root neck is buried 3-5 cm. Well watered and two weeks keep the soil moist.
In the future, regularly pruning the bush, he is given the necessary shape and height.
For a better fruiting hawthorn requires the sun. The rest of the plant is drought-resistant and frost-resistant. The first crop appears in 5-6 years. Fruiting is usually an annual or a year. One plant gives up to 20 kg of berries.
“Prickly” properties of hawthorn are useful in growing shrubs as hedges. The seedlings are planted in trenches with a depth of 50-70 cm and a width of 50 cm. The distance between bushes should not exceed 50cm. They are formed, performing pruning for half the length of the one-year increment. In autumn, superphosphate and potassium salt are introduced.
Harvesting flowers and fruits for the winter
Useful properties of hawthorn flowers when treating a number of diseases are more effective than in fruits. Therefore, they are also harvested for the winter.
The main enemy when harvesting flowers is high humidity. Dry weather is necessary, which is complicated by a short period of flowering, often lasting only 2-3 days.
Full-grown flowers are prepared. They are neatly cut with a small part of the stem. It is better to do this in the morning when the dew has completely dried out. The harvested crop is scattered in a thin layer in a dry shaded and well-ventilated place.
The dried flowers are stored for up to a year in cloth bags, paper bags, wooden boxes with paper on the bottom.
To maximally preserve the beneficial properties of hawthorn fruits, they also try to pluck them in dry weather in September-October. After cleaning and washing, the berries are dried at a temperature of up to + 50 ° C. As a result, they darken and wrinkle, acquire a sweet astringent taste. They are stored in the same way as flowers, but up to two years.
When harvesting hawthorn berries for the winter, they can be stored in the freezer. Disassembled and washed fruits are slightly dried on a towel, and then decomposed into plastic containers with a lid.
Contraindications and possible harm
Any plant benefits only if it is used correctly, which is especially important in case of cardiovascular diseases. Before you can independently apply the useful properties of hawthorn, you need to consult a doctor, especially in case of severe heart disorders or kidney problems.
- Reception for an extremely long time can cause heart rhythm depression.
- The use of fruit in excessive amounts can cause easy poisoning.
- If you are treated on an empty stomach, there may be a spasm of the intestine or blood vessels, nausea vomiting. In this situation it is worth taking infusions and tinctures two hours after a meal, reduce the concentration or dose of folk remedies.
- When treating hawthorn, do not immediately drink cold water, otherwise it can happen intestinal colic , paroxysmal pain.
- In some cases, hypotonia for the more effective use of beneficial properties of hawthorn in the treatment of heart disease should be consumed infusions of fruits and flowers of the plant.