- How to know whether fresh or not breathing
- Causes of unpleasant odor
- Lack of saliva makes breathing stale
- What to do if it smells strongly from the mouth
Everyone is unpleasant if people shy away from him, as soon as he starts talking. The reason is simple: bad smell from the mouth. What in this case do, how to restore freshness to breathing?
How to know if there is fresh or not breathing
The medical name of the phenomenon when breathing bad smells is halitosis . His reasons may be different. Halitosis is not necessarily associated with impaired oral health, it may simply increase the number of microorganisms. A bad exhalation can be caused by diseases of the internal organs.
Before starting to worry, it is worth to find out how fresh the exhaled air is. Independently to determine how it smells, it is not so simple: our respiratory organs are arranged in such a way that it will not be possible to exhale through the mouth and simultaneously inhale with the nose. To resort to outside help, of course, I do not want to. How to be?
- You need to take a teaspoon and smooth the sides several times over the surface of the tongue. It is better to move the spoon as close as possible to the base of the tongue, since this place is most often the cause of an unpleasant smell. White coating and moisture saliva will give an idea of the fragrance.
- You can lick the tip of your tongue with your wrist. After a dozen seconds, the saliva will dry up and it will be possible to get an idea of the freshness of the breath. The aroma will be weaker than in reality, because, as already mentioned, it is stronger at the base of the tongue.
Causes of unpleasant odor
Search need to start in the oral cavity. Of course, first you need to exclude the most obvious reasons. For example, breathing can be stale if you had to eat onion, garlic, and take part in a merry feast on the eve.
In order not to be surprised by the stench, it is worth the habit of regularly brushing your teeth in the morning and at night. And also to choose the right toothpaste and brush, to replace the toothbrush in a timely manner with a new one.
To eliminate the abominable exhalation, one should not rush to apply various rinses and means, which refresh the oral cavity.
First you need to visit the dentist, so that he checks the condition of the gums and teeth. Caries , Periodontitis and Gingivitis – These diseases of the oral cavity can cause an unpleasant odor. The problem is solved by appropriate treatment.
If the teeth and gums are healthy, but still smells strongly from the mouth, the causes of halitosis should be sought in diseases of the nasopharynx. Infection, causing inflammatory processes with the release of pus, also spoils the freshness of breathing.
A strong odor can be caused by angina , sinusitis , pharyngitis , tonsillitis , various diseases of the lungs and trachea. Breathing becomes stale from diseases associated with nasal congestion.
Lack of saliva makes breathing stale
Another possible reason that smells unpleasant is the habit of breathing with the mouth. And one reason can be superimposed on the other: nasal congestion has arisen – the habit of oral breathing, which causes excessive dryness of mucous membranes, began to form. In the end, this contributes to the development and reproduction of all kinds of bacteria.
As you know, saliva has antiseptic properties. When it gets smaller, the bacteria multiply more intensively. It is the lack of saliva production during night rest that causes a bad smell in the mornings.
Saliva ceases to suffice if a habit is acquired long to talk. When the deficit of salivation becomes a constant companion of life, the phenomenon is called xerostomia .
Xerostomia is not considered a disease. Rather, it is a symptom of other diseases. Its causes are infection, blockage of the ducts of the salivary gland, which makes saliva less. Often, xerostomia is observed in old age.
What to do if it smells strongly from the mouth
- If the ENT doctor has not found any abnormalities of health, it is worth checking the state of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and even kidneys. If there is a smell of acetone in the breath, it can be – although not necessarily, that it is actually so – a sign of diabetes mellitus . Just in case, it should be shown to the gastroenterologist .
- On prostheses often accumulate various bacteria, which makes the mouth smell strongly. It is necessary to listen carefully to the explanations of the doctor who installs the dentures in order to properly remember how to properly care for them. Keep dentures better in a special antiseptic fluid that prevents the reproduction of bacteria.
- Rinse with various infusions helps with bad breath. For their preparation is used mint, wormwood, St. John’s wort, chamomile, oak bark . If salivation is inadequate, rinsing with boiled water is helpful.
- Mint promotes copious salivation. Even mint chewing gum without sugar helps to develop enough of it and destroy bacteria that cause a putrefactive smell.